naXys Newsletter – November 2018
Newsletter – November 2018
- Symmetric component analysis and functional independent component analysis, Germain Van Bever (UNamur), November 29, 13:00 – 14:00, E25
- Ants and their associates as a model system to test host-symbiont network dynamics, Thomas Parmentier (KULeuven, UNamur), December 6, 13:00 – 14:00, E25
- Staffing optimization in call centers, Fabian Bastin (Université de Montréal), December 13, 13:00 – 14:00, E25
- A New Approach to Complexity in Economic Geography, Justin Delloye (Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research LISER), December 20, 13:00 – 14:00, E25
Abstracts can be found on our website: https://www.naxys.be/events/
The naXys SPACE research pole is deploying a brand new automated astronomical observatory on the campus. This observatory will be dedicated to teaching and outreach purposes but will also allow our students to develop new skills in astronomical instrumentation and image processing techniques. To ensure a wide range of applications, the dome will be equipped with several instruments. A fast telescope of 30cm diameter and f/D=2.8 or 4 with narrowband filters and a CCD camera will allow deep sky imaging under urban sky. A 3-meter focal length telescope will be used for planetary and small objects observation while a large aperture Halpha telescope will be deployed for observing the Sun. For advanced students, personal research projects will be developed around subjects such as space debris detection, variable stars, image registration, etc. The observatory should be operational around next Spring. Contact person: Pr. A. Füzfa
LAST NAXYS PUBLICATIONS
- A minimally invasive neurostimulation method for controlling abnormal synchronisation in the neuronal activity, Asllani, M., Expert, P. & Carletti, T., 2018, In : PLOS Computational Biology. 14, 7, 18 p., e1006296.
- Global computation of phase-amplitude reduction for limit-cycle dynamics, Mauroy, A. & Mezić, I., 2018, In : Chaos: an interdisciplinary journal of nonlinear science. 28, 7, 23 p., 073108.
- Modelling structure and predicting dynamics of discussion threads in online boards, Medvedev, A. N., Delvenne, J-C. & Lambiotte, R., 2018, In : Journal of Complex Networks. cny010, 17 p.
- Second-order optimality and beyond: Characterization and Evaluation Complexity in Convexly Constrained Nonlinear Optimization, Cartis, C., Gould, N. I. M. & Toint, P., 2018, In : Foundations of Computational Mathematics. 18, 5, p. 1073-1107 35 p.
- UV to near-infrared broadband pyramidal absorbers via a genetic algorithm optimization approach, Mayer, A. & Lobet, M., 2018, Proceedings of SPIE. Zayats, A. V., Boardman, A. D. & MacDonald, K. F. (eds.). Vol. 10671. p. 1067127-1 11 p. 10672.
Want to add information in the next newsletter? Please send it to
Copyright © 2018 – naXys, All rights reserved.
naXys · University of Namur · Rue de Bruxelles 61 · Namur 5000 · Belgium